Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I am Linky up with Nicole and some other great bloggers for a D5 Book study. Grab your book and join us!

On pages 4-6,the authors present tWo different pictures of their classrooms. In thinking about and reflecting on your own practice, how would you characterize your literacy block? Does it look more like the first scenario or the second scenario or is it somewhere in between?

My literacy blocks is 90 minutes of uninterrupted instruction. This was my first year of teaching 2nd grade and the first year I read Daily 5, I felt overwhelmed. I did have guided reading groups, phonemics instruction, writing instruction,- the one tool that I did incorporate and use daily was the read to self. The students had book baskets and built stamina.

Do you wAnt to spend more time In meaningful conversations with students About reading and less time trying to get students to follow directions?

Of course, I love having conversations with my students about what book they just read. They are so excited about telling me every little detail and can't wait to read another book. now if I assign a specific book it is a job or a chore and they dislike this, it is so much better if they choose.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower:) Hoping we find the answers we are looking for!

    Tammy
    The Rsourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following me I am a newbie and learning about blogging everyday!

    ReplyDelete